Sunday, December 23, 2007

Poetic Collaboration

Read Write Poem this week asked us to collaborate on a piece of work. I didn't do that, but I thought I would share some thoughts about poetic collaboration. One of my favourite pieces of poetic collaboration is the book Paso Doble where the poets Anamaria Crowe Serrano and Annamaria Ferramosca worked together on a series of poems in Italian and English. Each poet wrote a line in her native language and then all the poems were translated. The poems all, whether in the original form or in the translations, move beautifully from one language to another, in the way that a conversation sometimes does between people who share a number of languages. You can read my full review of this book here.

I also enjoy renga or renku poetry, a Japanese form, related to haiku, that is currently popular in Scotland, with people working together to produce linked verses.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. What a mindboggle of the nicest kind. Italian English translation colloboration. There is a connection between pure sound and emotion, of course, like instrumental music, everyone can recognise the sweet sadness of a minor key, and perhaps the colloboration in different languages explores that. I have always thought that the most amazing colloborations are the ones where the voices become seamless, become one mutual voice like an harmonic. There is the idea of community buried in there too like there is always in your work. Have a wonderful shhhmas, oh crafty one, your constant support and food for thought has been a year long gift for me,

Crafty Green Poet said...

HI Paul, thanks for your lovely comment. I think you're right about the sounds of language. Also there is a situation and I've been there myself where conversation just flows between different languages, you say the words in the language that most suit, or that springs to your mind first it can be confusing though

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the review and the link to renga. I recently came across renga on Poets.org, and was intrigued. I'm now off to read some of the examples you link here.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this info. Its sounds very interesting. I will check it out!

sister AE said...

I participated in a renga back in November, hosted by Tricia at
The Miss Rumphius Effect

It was fun, but we I think we didn't quite finish it. With a weekly prompt, I think our attentions turned to the next one too soon.

sister AE
at
Having Writ