Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Making of a Muse

There was urgency, then,
in my love for you.
Sudden in the sunlight,
your beauty and laughter,
tight-reined passion
followed me, ghostlike,
everywhere.

I sensed your feelings, recognised
love that could not speak,
to dare being just too brave
in such strange circumstance.

I loved you well enough to know
my silence kept you safe,
knew there was no easy way
to tell you what I felt.

Now continents and years away,
your likeness sits here in my soul,
a symbol, cipher, set in stone
for me to bring to mind
when I find a word or line
on which to hang another poem
of unrequited love.



Previously published in Markings

The line 'sudden in the sunlight' was my contribution to the donated lines for this week's Poetry Thursday.

The whole poem has been translated into Spanish by Eugenia Andino. You can read the Spanish version here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what I like better, the beginning or the ending. Magnificent poem, and I liked the translation as well.

Cathy said...

This made me ache for my youth.

daisies said...

this takes me places, down memories lost ~ beautiful ...

Anonymous said...

beautiful opening - I got sucked right in. Awesome. Fave line: "a symbol, cipher, set in stone"

nice job!